Oyonale - 3D art and graphic experiments
- Agronomy engineer
- Digital artist since 1993
- Specialised in 3D modelling and rendering.
- Member of the Persistence of Vision Technical Assistance Group
- Personal online gallery Oyonale features several hundreds of pictures created since 1993, many of them being part of a perpetual work in progress called The book of beginnings that mixes digital art and unfinished short stories in both French and English. The gallery also contains experimental web-based works including several textual and graphic generators, as well as various tools, tutorials and resources for 3D artists.
- Personal online gallery hosted at the Institut National de l'Audiovisuel
- In addition to his personal website, Gilles Tran's artwork is featured on a large number of personal and commercial websites, including Saatchi-gallery.co.uk, raph.com, zazzle.com, povray.org, wikipedia.com among others and in various academic papers and training courses.
- Infinite spire and fallen headstones, architectural renderings created for a design proposal by Brian McConnell (USA) for the World Trade Center Memorial in New York City.
- Reach for the stars, artwork created in collaboration with Jaime Vives Piqueres (Spain), rendered in space in April 2002 on board of the International Space Station by astronaut Mark Shuttleworth (South Africa).
- Grève: installation artwork with Dominique de Bardonnèche and other artists.
- Presentation, Salon international du livre et de la presse (International book and press fair), Geneva, May 1998
- De la génétique cuniculicole à l?image de synthèse 3D (From rabbit genetics to computer generated images), Forum des Interacteurs, Novembre 1998, Echirolles, France
- Presentation, INRIA, July 1997, Grenoble, France
- The inner garden - Noi viên, Gallery Mai, January 31 to February 8, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
- Peaux de vaches et autres artistes (Cow hides and other artists), March 3 to April 4, Marche en Famenne, Belgium
- Galerie Connectik, Lyon, France
- Galerie 147, INRA, Paris, France
- Digipainters ?97, Rome, Italy
- Exposition Art & Science, Hôpital Cochin, Paris, France
- 2e Salon des Agro-exposants, Paris, France
- 1er Salon des Agro-exposants, Paris, France
Published works and interviews
- Cover of the French magazine Lyon Capitale, February 2009
- Cover of the scientific publication INRA Productions Animales Volume 21, n°1
- Image "An Idol" used in the movie "Hero" by Bruno Merle.
- Various Vietnamese magazines and newspapers including Thanh Niên, The Thao, Tuoi Tre and Vietnam News. Interview for the HTV 7 television channel at Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
- Interview and image in Thanh Niên (Youth, August 30), Viêt Nam
- Interview and portfolio in Micro Photo Vidéo (issue n°5), France.
- Interview and portfolio in The123D.com
- Images featured in Digital Design of Nature: Computer Generated Plants and Organics, by Oliver Deussen, Bernt Lintermann, Springer, Germany
- Cover and small portfolio in 3D World (issue n°47), UK
- Cover and article in Informatik Spektrum (27/1), Germany
- Images featured in Home Computer (issues n°10 and 12), Russia.
- Images featured in Creative Live (Sept/Oct/Nov), Germany
- Images featured in The Complete Guide to Digital Illustration, by Steve Caplin, Adam Banks, Nigel Holmes, The Ilex Press Ltd, UK
- Images featured in Computergenerierte Pflanzen: Technik Und Design Digitaler Pflanzenwelten, by Oliver Deussen, Springer, Germany
- Cover image for In the eye of time, CD album by Vox-Tempus, USA
- Interview and cover image in Studio Multimédia (issue n°41), France.
- Interview and portfolio in Design Graphics (issue n°85, August), Australia
- Cover image for Tables de Composition et de valeur nutritionnelle des matières premières destinées aux animaux d?élevage, by Daniel Sauvant, Jean-Marc Pérez and Gilles Tran, INRA Editions, France (also for the English, Spanish and Chinese editions).
- Image featured in GW Graphic World (issue n°5), Japan.
- Cover image for Congélation et qualité de la viande, by Claude Génot, INRA Editions, France
- Interview in Le Monde (8 juin 1999), France
- Image featured in Computer Grafica, Italy.
- Cover image for Masternova, continuing education course in bioengineering and agro-industry, France.
- Inducted into the Persistence of Vision Raytracer Hall of Fame (14 images)
- Winner of the Internet Raytracing Competition, November-December round "Spirit of Asia"
- Winner of the Internet Raytracing Competition, November, March-April round "Fortress"
- Winner of the Internet Raytracing Competition, November-December round "Contrast"
- Winner of the Internet Raytracing Competition, November, March-April round "City"
- Winner of the Internet Raytracing Competition, November-December round "Gardens"
Gilles Tran's artwork was commented in the following academic papers:
- Dorin, A., Beyond Morphogenesis: enhancing synthetic trees through death, decay and the Weasel Test, in Third Iteration: Proceedings of the Third International Conference on Generative Systems in the Electronic Arts, Innocent, Brown, McCormack, Mcilwain (eds) CEMA, Melbourne, Dec. 2005, pp 119-128. (Full paper)
- Shultz, P. Affordances of Computer art, Media History and Theory, fall 2005, Art Center College of Design. (Full paper)
- Swinn, Gaye. Database as art in the age of the virtual camera, ACM International Conference Proceeding Series; Vol. 223, Proceedings of the 2006 international conference on Game research and development table of contents, Perth, Australia, pp 249 ? 253. (Full paper)
- Figures du grapheïn: arts plastiques, littérature, musique. Empreinte esthétique et conceptuelle des structures programmées en images de synthèse: « Quand le langage présuppose l'image » de Véronique Bourgoin. Ouvrage dirigé par Bruno Duborgel, Université Jean Monnet-Saint-Etienne. Centre interdisciplinaire d'études et de recherches sur l'expression contemporaine - Writing in art - 2000 - 362 pages
- Persistence of Vision Ray-tracer
- Cinema 4D
- Wings 3D
- Rhino 3D